More Than 8 Hours, Sleep, Too Much of a Good Thing
1. Although the dangers of too little sleep are widely known, new research suggests that people who sleep too much may also suffer the consequences.
2. Investigators at the University of California in San Diego found that people who clock up 9 or 10 hours each weeknight appear to have more trouble falling and staying asleep, as well as a number of other sleep problems, than people who sleep 8 hours a night. People who slept only 7 hours each night also said they had more trouble falling asleep and feeling refreshed after a night's sleep than 8-hour sleepers.
3. These findings, which DL Daniel Kripke reported in the journal Psychosomatic Medicine,demonstrate that people who want to get a good night's rest may not need to set aside more than 8 hours a night. He added that "it might be a good idea"for people who sleep more than 8 hours each night to consider reducing the amount of time they spend in bed, but cautioned that more research is needed to confirm this.
4. Previous studies have shown the potential dangers of chronic shortages of sleep--for instance, one report demonstrated that people who habitually sleep less than 7 hours each night have a higher risk of dying within a fized period than people who sleep more.
5. For the current report, Kripke reviewed the responses of 1,004 adults to sleep questionnaires,in which participants indicated how much they slept during the week and whether they experienced any sleep problems. Sleep problems included waking in the middle of the night, arising early in the morning and being unable to fall back to sleep, and having fatigue interfere with day-to-day functioning.
6. Kripke found that people who slept between 9 and 10 hours each night were more likely to report experiencing each sleep problem than people who slept 8 hours. In an interview, Kripke noted that long sleepers may struggle to get rest at night simply because they spend too much time in bed. As evidence, he added that one way to help insomnia is to spend less time in bed.
"It stands to reason that if a person spends too long a time in bed, then they'll spend a higher percentage of time awake," he said.
23. Paragraph 2 __________.
24. Paragraph 4 __________.
25. Paragraph 5 __________.
26. Paragraph 6 __________.
A. Kripke's research tool
B. Dangers of habitual shortages of sleep
C. Criticism on Kripke's report
D. A way of overcoming insomnia
E. Sleep problems of long and short sleepers
F. Classification of sleep problems
27. To get a good night's rest, people may not need to __________.
28. Long sleepers are reported to be more likely to __________.
29. One of the sleep problems is waking in the middle of the night and unable to __________.
30. People each night have a higher risk of dying if they habitually __________.
A. fall asleep again
B. become more energetic the following day
C. sleep less than 7 hours
D. confirm those serious consequences
E. suffer sleep problems
F. sleep more than 8 hours
23.E。“Investigators…found that people who clock up 9 or 1 0 hours each weeknight appear to have more trouble falling…than…”该句回应了文章的主题——睡眠时间太长不是好事;对照备选项发现，只有E和F与这个内容有关系，但段落最后一句中又提到了睡眠不足的人的问题，因此E是答案(睡眠长和睡眠短的人所面临的睡眠问题)。
24.B。段落的结构——Previous studies have shown the potential dangers of chronic shortages of sleep—for instance表明了该段的中心是讲述“长期睡眠不足的潜在危险”。因此B为正确答案。
26.D。段落中出现的Kripke found，Kripke noted和he added表明，“Kripke的观点和态度应该是该段的中心”，对比备选项排除C(段落中没有出现批评的话语)和F(段落中没有具体提到睡眠问题的表现形式)，而段落最后第2句提到了克服失眠的方法——少花时间在床上，与D呼应，故D为正确答案。
27.F。题干：要想有个好睡眠，人们无需_________。分析：根据搭配结构need to do sth.判断所有选项都在语法上合适。借助搭配句意判断F(睡眠超过8小时)为正确选项。
28.E。题干：睡眠时间长的人更有可能_________。结合文章主题——睡眠时间长不是好事情，由此判断E合适。也可借助文章中的相关内容(利用题干中的long sleepers和more likely作为答案线索)：Kripke found that people who slept between 9 and lo hours each night were more likely to report experiencing each sleep problem than people who slept 8 hours.因此，E是正确答案。