下面每个句子中均有1 个词或短语画有底横线，请为每处画线部分确定1 个意义最为接近的选项.
1. These are their motives for doing it.
A. reasons B. excuses C. answers D. reply
2. The river widens considerably as it begins to turn west.
A. twists B. stretches C. broadens D. bends
3. Henry cannot resist the lure of drugs.
A. abuse B. flavor C. temptation D. consumption
4. These programs are of immense value to old people.
A. natural B. fatal C. tiny D. enormous
5. A great deal has been done to remedy the situation.
A. maintain B. improve C. assess D. protect
6. John is collaborating with Mary in writing an article.
A. cooperating B. competing C. combining D. arguing
7. He is determined to consolidate his power.
A. strengthen B. control C. abandon D. exercise
8. Many scientists have been probing psychological problems.
A. solving B. exploring C. settling D. handling
9. Hearing problems may be alleviated by changes in diet and exercise habits.
A. removed B. cured C. worsened D. relieved
10. All the cars are tested for defects before leaving the factory.
A. functions B. faults C. motions D. parts
11. The food is insufficient for three people.
A. instant B. infinite C. inexpensive D. inadequate
12. Thousands of people perished in the storm.
A. died B. suffered C. floated D. scattered
13. But in the end he approved of our proposal.
A. undoubtedly B. certainly C. ultimately D. necessarily
14. For young children, getting dressed is a complicated business.
A. strange B. complex C. personal D. funny
15. In Britain and many other countries appraisal is now a tool of management.
A. evaluation B. production C. efficiency D. publicity