II. Grammatical Structure
Directions: There are some incomplete sentences in this part. Beneath each
sentence you will see four choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the ONE answer
that best completes the sentence and mark your answer on the Answer Sheet.
21. Certain layers of the atmosphere have special names __
A. which indicated their character properties
B. whose characteristic properties are indicating
C. what characterize their indicated properties
D. that indicate their characteristic properties
22. __, he had to leave school.
A. Since his father's unemployment
B. Since his father was unemployed
23. __ astrology and alchemy may be regarded as fundamental aspects of thought
is indicated by their apparent universality.
A. Both are B, What both C. Both D. That both
24. I wonder how long ago this school __
A. has begun B. begins C. began D. has started
25. In 1864 Nevada entered the United States as __ thirty-sixth state.
A. a B. the C. that D. an
26. Because of my poor English, I'm afraid I can't make myself
A. understanding B. understand C. understood D. to understand
27. __ the radio, he began to go over his lessons.
A. Turning off B. Turned off C. Turn off D. Having turned off
28. The central purpose of management is __ every action or decision help
achieve a carefully chosen goal.
A. for making B. of making C. to make D. being maken
29. The grape is the, juicy fruit of a woody wine.
A. smooth-skinned B. skinned is smooth
C. skin, which is smooth D. smooth skin
30. This is an old clock that is not only very beautiful but __
A. also it tells time accurately B. it too tells time accurately
C. it accurately tells time also D. also accurate
31. If only we __ then the disease was curable.
A. knew B. could know C. had known D. would have known
32. The bookcase __ when we were moving it.
A. damaged B. has damaged
C. was being damaged D. got damaged
33. He failed his exam, __ proved that he wasn't working hard enough.
A. what B. which C. this D. of which
34. It is human nature to think back to a Golden Age __ one's country was strong
A. when B. provided C. as D. unless
35. Alice __ my letter; otherwise she would have replied before now.
A. ought to have received B. haven't received
C. has been received D. couldn't have received
36. Not until the year of 1962 __ made the capital of this country.
A. the city was B. when the city was
C. was the city D. was when the city
37. I need some more volunteers to help clean the classroom.
A. none B. any C. few D. some
38. The more he encouraged the boy, __
A. the more fast he responded B. he responded more fast
C. the faster he responded D. he responded faster
39. Some of the world's best mountain scenery __ available near the Southern
A. is B. are C. maybe D. has been
40. At fourteen __ at a district school near her home, and when she was sixteen,
she saw her first article in print.
A. the first teaching position that Marian Barrett had
B. the teaching position was Marian Barrett's first
C. when Marian Barrett had her first teaching position
D. Marian Barrett had her first teaching position