Directions: There are some incomplete sentences in this part. Beneath each sentence you will see four choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the ONE answer that best completes the sentence and mark your answer on the Answer Sheet.
1. Charles is my all-weather friend. When I honestly need his____, he is on my
A. debates B. permission C. comprehension D. support
2. After the neutral warm-up, US negotiating partners quickly _____the point.
A. see to B. get to C. leave out D. go by
3. Plants use the carbon, along with sunlight, for growth, and ~ oxygen into the
atmosphere in a process known as photosynthesis.
A. relieve B. relate C. release D. retain
4. We all gather facts and_____ conclusions, but we have very different styles of
A. pull B. draw C. take D. receive
5. Alberta __ fourth in population among Canadian provinces.
A. ranks B. occupies C. arranges D. classifies
6. In a given month, Friday is the 21 st day of the month. What day of the week was
the 5th of the month?
A. Monday B. Thursday C. Saturday D. Wednesday
7. ~ his high rank and position, the President takes social leadership almost
over everyone else.
A. By right of B. By virtue of C. By name of D. By chance of
8. The CEO needs an assistant that he can __ to take care of problems in his
A. count in B. count up C. count on D. count out
9. The Beijing government has finally decided to cut subway __ by about 30
percent to boost public transport.
A. fees B. fares C. payments D. costs
10. None of the waiters were when Mr. Smith wanted to order dishes in the
A. available B. attainable C. approachable D. applicable
11. A veteran employee can ~ his knowledge and skills to the next generation.
A. transform B. translate C. transfer D. transport
12. When you've finished reading a book, and the pages are filled with your notes in the_____, you know you read actively.
A. intervals B. borders C. margins D. edges
13. A complete refining installation must include waste __ and water-treating equipment.
A. dismissal B. survival C. disposal D. range
14. The fast development of the world economy will __ many new problems.
A. bring about B. bring around C. bring out D. bring up
15. Many Chinese restaurants pride themselves __ their cooking and service.
A. with B. about C. on D. of
16. The artist __ his trip to Paris because he was ill.
A. called off B. closed down C. put up D. went off
17. Methanol-fueled vehicles would __ an immediate lessening of urban air pollution.
A. attribute to B. attend to C. contribute to D. devote to
18. Love can __ imperfection.
A. resist B. sustain C. undergo D. tolerate
19. A global firm's profits can __ dramatically depending on the strength of its home currency and the currencies of the countries in which it operates.
A. vary B. change C. alter D. convert
20. Sometimes even the smallest thing will upset an __ person.
A. annoyed B. irritated C. irritable D. angry